Flagella Staining by Loeffler’s Method and its Details
Flagella is the most important locomotory organ of a bacterial cell and for studying this structure it is important to stain the flagella.So here we have another staining technique used for staining of flagella that is Loffler’s staining technique.
There are some other staining techniques that are also used for staining of flagella that are Bailey’s method,Gray’s method, Casares-Gil’s method and Leifson’s method.
Here in this article we are going to study Loffler’s method in detail.
To stain flagella of a cell by using Loffler’s method.
- Flagellated cell culture.
- Loeffler’s mordant.
- Loeffler’s stain.
- Distill water.
- Chromic acid.
- The slides are cleaned by boiling them in chromic acid solution.
- The smear is prepared as given in the flow chart below.
- Further after smear preparation the slide is treated with Loeffler’s mordant and heated it till steam appears approximately it takes 3 minutes.
- After that slide is gently washed by distill water.
- Further slide is treated with Loeffler’s stain and heated till steam appears.
- Finally slide is washed with water,air dried and observe under oil immersion.