Infection and its Types in Microbiology
- Infection is a condition of host in which parasite lives, multiplies in the host body.
- Infection normally occurs when a parasite is very active and it suppresses the host defense mechanism.
- Depending upon the nature of host, parasite and the persistence of the disease the infection is divided into following types.
1. Chronic infection
- Chronic infection is a long lasting infection.
- Examples :- Diabetes, Cancer, Sickle cell anemia, Autoimmune diseases etc .
2. Acute infection
- It is a disease that spreads rapidly in short period of time.
- Example:- Common cold, Chicken pox, Pneumonia etc.