Volutin Granule Staining Technique and its Details
- Micro-organism have a special characteristic these organism store reserve food material in the form of granules.These granules are utilized by these organism when they are in starvation mode.
- These reserve food granules are also called Volutin granules, Metachromatic granules or Babes Ernst granules.
- These granules are mainly of four types.
- Volutin granules.
- Sulphur granules.
- Nitrogenous reserve food material.
- Non-nitrogenous reserve food material.
- These granules are called as Volutin granules because these granules were first observed in Spirillum volutans.
- It is also called as metachromatic granule because if these granules are stain with blue stain they appear red in colour so it has a property of changing colour.
- These granules are made up of proteins, RNA and poly-phosphate molecules .
- Volutin granules are mainly present in bacteria, algae,fungi and protozoa.
- These granules are stain by using Albert’s staining method.
To stain volutin granules by Albert’s staining method.
- Cell suspension.
- Albert’s stain.
- Albert’s iodine.
- Prepare a smear on clean grease free slide.
- Air dry and heat fix the smear.
- Treat the smear with Albert’s stain and allow it to react for about 3 mins .
- Drain of the excess stain do not water wash the slide.
- Flood the smear with Albert’s iodine for 2 minutes.
- Wash the slide with water,air dry and observe under oil immersion lens.