Definition of Microbiology
It is a branch of science that deals with the study of microscopic forms of life these micro-organisms are less than 1 mm in size.
Characteristics of Micro-organisms
- These micro-organisms are very small in size generally less than 1 mm.
- They are not visible through our naked eyes.
- These organisms are either unicellular or multicellular.
- Prokaryotic or eukaryotic in nature.
- They may be motile or non motile.
- Micro-organisms are present everywhere in our surrounding like air, water,soil, dust and bodies of plants, animals and human beings.
Taxonomic Differentiation of Micro-organisms
- Protozoa are unicellular, eukaryotic in nature.
- They are parasitic or saprophytic.
- The size range of protozoa is generally 10 – 50 micrometer.
- These organisms generally exist in aqueous environment and soil.
- They show motility by flagella, cilia, or pseudopodia.
- Protozoa can absorbs their food material by cell membrane or by engulfing the food by phagocytosis.
- Some parasites are pathogenic in nature .They can reproduce sexually or asexually.