Skip to content
Cell wall staining by Chances method
Please watch the video given below
- Cell wall staining technique is a special staining technique in which we especially stain the cell wall of the bacterial cell.
- As we know cell wall is the outer most rigid covering of cell and depending upon the structure of cell wall bacterial cell are classified in Gram positive and Gram negative cells.
- Staining of bacterial cell wall helps us in a demonstration of the cell wall.
- There are various staining techniques used to stain cell wall like Chances method, Ringer’s method and Dyar’s method.
- To stain the bacterial cell wall by Chances method.
- A Clean grease free slide.
- Fresh cell suspension.
- 0.5 % New fuchsin solution.
- 0.5 % Congo red solution.
- A clean grease free slide is taken.
- The smear is made on a slide by using a sterile wire loop.
- The slide is air dried and not heat fixed.
- After air-drying the slide is flooded with 0.5 % New fuchsin solution and allowed to react for 3 mins.
- After 3 mins excess stain is drained out and the slide is flooded with 0.5 % Congo red solution and kept for 4 mins.
- Further, the slide is gently washed with water.
- Air dried and observed under oil immersion lens.