Neisseria Gonorrhoeae Disease
Neisseria gonorrhoeae (Gonococci)
Neisseria gonorrhoeae is a venereal disease
1. Morphological characters
- They are gram negative,non-sporeforming diplococci with concave adjacent side.
- It appear like a shape of a kidney.
- It contains pili that provide adhesion to mucosal surface and inhibit phagocytosis.
2. Cultural characters
- These gonococci cells grow aerobically as well as anaerobically.
- These organism can grow on selective media like Chocolate agar, Mueller-Hinton and Thayer Martin medium.
- The optimum temperature for its growth is 36° C and it reguires a pH range of 7.2 to 7.6.
- After incubation the colonies appear small, convex and translucent.