Disease caused by Streptococcus pneumoniae
The Streptococcus pneumoniae is gram-positive lancet shape bacteria. It may be diplococcus or streptococcus. Pneumococcus is non-motile, non-spore forming capsulated bacteria. They may be aerobic or facultative anaerobic in nature. They are a normal inhabitant of human respiratory tract Pneumococcus bacteria may be an important cause of pneumonia, otitis, sinusitis, bronchitis, meningitis and other infection like arthritis, conjunctivitis and suppurative lesions.
- Pneumococci are lancet shape with one end broad or rounded and other end pointed
- If they occur in pair called as diplococci.
- They are smaller than 1 micrometre in size.
- The capsule enclose each pair of cells. These capsules can be made visible by using capsule staining method.
- These cells are readily stained by gram staining procedure.